Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Leaving Peru for a Suprise Weekend In NYC

After a break from updates, I am back online to report a big change in the year off plans !

First, I have been accepted to the McCombs Business School MBA program at the University of Texas in Austin. I will be moving to Austin and starting school in early August.

Second, after Laura left Peru on March 16th I returned to Pico Alto Surf Camp (PASC) in Punta Hermosa to spend the week leading up to Semana Santa (Easter) surfing. The Semana Santa weekend is absolutely crazy, as everyone in Lima who can scrape together a few Soles and anything that can float, heads out into the water. I was able to surf a bit on Monday through Friday geting used to my new 6'4 Lost Speed Demon II surf board which I had purchased in Lima earlier that month. I caught great waves at the big breaks of Punta Rocas, Senoritas, and Caballeros and thoroughly appreciated the extra couple inches in length I went with in choosing my board. However, as the weekend arrived, some reef cuts and bad chest rashes from the board began to wear on me at the same time the waves got more crowded and difficult to compete for. I starteted to experience my first real surfing fatigue.

As crowds continued to swarm the beach, I was faced with being forced out of my room to accommodate previous PASC reservations. I made the decision to fly New York for Easter and my sisters birthday which were that weekend and which my parents had already traveled up for. I snuck onto a plane Friday the 21st without telling them and by Saturday morning showed up at their hotel room door as an unexpected Easter/Birthday surprise. It was an amazing week in New York seeing both my family, friends, and of course girlfriend Laura (who was equally surprised). Though it wasn't my original plan the month of March ended in a spate of much missed American luxuries: steaks at BLT Prime, sushi, a Rangers game at MSG, a matinee of Jersey Boys with the fam, and cocktails and the delicious 'devils on horseback' at SoHo hotspot Friedmans.

My time warp from the the third world to the big apple was such a whirlwind I scarcely had time to process or plan. I just knew my body was surf sore and that for the time being I felt OK about having my board lay dormant as I reacquainted with stateside life and made plans for the upcoming four months before school.


La Isla Beach experiences the crowds of Semana Santa

1 comment:

mdt+pb said...

Hi Will,

My wife and I did a similar program to you for 5 months around the world and we hit Pico Alto too. I am now in the midst of launching a new business - www.waveriderclub.com - and looking into Punta Hermosa or Mancora as locations to invest in a vacation rental property. I am wondering if you have any insights to which location you preferred better as I did not get to Mancora and can't directly compare the surf, safety, style of homes and general vibe? Thanks in advance for your feedback!