Monday, August 27, 2007

Triathlon and Matisyahu Concert in Santa Barbara

Whats up NY, SF, and H-town (and my 2 or 3 friends in other areas of the country)

The first triathlon is done and now just two more to go. I finished the Santa Barbara Long Course in 3 hours and 40 minutes this past Saturday which was good for 189th place out of about 750 participants. In the 25-29 male division I came in 14th out of 45.

I was pretty please with my race. My bike pace was 19.5 mph for the 34 miles and my run pace was 7 minute 39 second miles for the 10 mile run course. I was actually running strong at 7:20 pace up until mile 8 when I started to weaken a bit. I ended up having to slow down for the final two miles to keep from bonking.

I went up to Santa Barbara a few days before the race and got to crash at Erin's place. We caught the Matisyahu/311 concert the first night, which was awesome. He truly is the Jewish Reggae sensation. The energy was highest during his set and the SB crowed seemed to really respond to his enthusiasm for the music he makes. He also did vocals as a guest appearance during a 311 song which was cool.

I am back in Hermosa beach now and Laura and I had dinner with Allison and her husband Wes last night at a Mexican restaurant in Manhattan Beach. Wes is an LA native who grew up surfing all over California and more recently in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Obviously I am salivating over the chance to pick his brain. We are heading out to surf El Porto this evening after he gets back from work. [work ? oh yea what I used to do before I did nothing]

Anyway, a few pics from the concert and race are below. . . LLRD as always




Erin and I outside the restaurant where we grabbed a drink before the Matisyahu/311 concert



Matis ripping it up



Stripping off the wetsuit headed into transition 1 (swim-to-bike)



The last few strides of the run . . . and it burns

No comments: